Big 'ol titties

5:01 PM

(0) Comments

I just want to say: I LOVE PLAYTEX (and Dove, too, of course).
Have you SEEN these new commercials? I don't watch tv, so I'm a bit late, but the online campaign is so brilliant. This will be brief.

Step 1: Watch the hilarity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liinxSNHfeo

Step 2: Take a note ... that women just took their breasts back.

That was my first thought when I saw that video (and the one where they try to list all the nicknames for boobs). I don't totally understand it psychologically - there's just something totally new feeling about women TALKING about their breasts, SHOWING themselves in bras on television (shamelessly I might add!), and then talking about them. That and of course showing women of multiple races, ages and sizes is still really rare and amazing.

The reason I'm so excited is because I'm so used to men talking about our breasts.
"A little cold there, Sally? Haw haw haw." The boys' club proceeds to elbow each other in the ribs.
I feel like men have defined us for so long (while woman have only been able to appropriate that language in an attempt to take back our own bodies; similar to black culture appropriating "nigger" and gay culture appropriating "fag"), and advertisers have defined us for so long (for men's pleasure, of course). This is the first time I feel like I'm seeing REAL women in advertising defining themselves in an honest and open and non-shameful way. That and holy heck are they hilarious or what? I adore the small and slightly round blonde, totally killer.

The only downside that got me was the girl that said that gravity was no longer her enemy, but brownies were. I feel if you're going to show women of all sizes who are proud of their beautiful bodies, why do we have to get into our constant struggle with weight-based self esteem? It seemed a bit contradictory. Also not sure about the whole "husband pleasers" thing, but I 'spose the point was to represent all kinds of women, including married ones (and who doesn't like to be attractive to their partner?).

Note: I aknowledge that I went at that discussion from a hetero/gender binary perspective, but I think its safe to say that the mainstream definition of the perfect woman and the one being pushed in most advertising is based off of a heterosexual man's ideal.

Iris Star Chamberlain

0 Responses to "Big 'ol titties"

Post a Comment